-->

Pages

March 3, 2012

Books: The Hunger Games - First installment

After feverishly reading The Hunger Games books over the week, I knew I have to blog about them. Too good, too good!

I knew these books have been out for a while now and my friend Jim has been pushing me to read it every single time the mention of books are brought up. But I was always "ya ya I know, it's awesome." or "Laterlah..." or "Really that nice kan?" haha Till the point where he had to send me the links to download the pdf format of the three books so that I have no excuse not to read them. I mean, I know I will read them eventually because I trust what he say is a good book but gawd I don't like reading e-books!

So I finally gave in and went to Best Eastern at The Mall to reserve them once I found out they are shipping them here to Brunei like finally. Thank God I did! Now it's my turn to annoy my sisters and telling them it's really good and they're all "ya ya I know, it's awesome." Circle of life wtf

The Hunger Games by Suzzane Collins

If you haven't read The Hunger Games, well it centers around this girl called Katniss living in a post world war 3 country I guess. After the destruction of America, they started everything all over. They called the society a Dystopian society because of the amount of control the government holds over the people and how poverty is very common everywhere. They called the government the Capitol and there are 12 districts in which each of this district is in charge of producing certain products. Katniss is from District 12 and they produce coal, for instance.

Anyways, every year the Capitol arranges 2 people from each district, a boy and a girl to compete in The Hunger Games. Rule is simple: The last one standing wins. They choose the participants from each district using 'lucky draw' style. Not so lucky for the people unfortunately. Somehow in the end, Katniss is to compete in The Hunger Games.

This books basically lets you in to her mind and you get to know what she was thinking in her head. It's an amazing experience where you feel like you're right beside her in the games and you see what she sees. Really gotta applaud Collins for her creativity! She created a world out of words and when I'm reading them I really feel like I'm watching a movie wtf

If you haven't read The Hunger Games, go buy a copy now!! It'll be one of the most amazing journey you go on! In your mind only of course, but it's good for you. ;)

Okay, please STOP reading if you don't wanna read any spoilers from here on out! Coz I wanna share my thoughts to those who have read them :)

.
.
.


Honestly, I am quite surprised at first of how Katniss seems to be oblivious to the fact that the guys have feelings for her when it's so darn obvious to the rest of us! But seeing the life that she's living and what she's been through I guess it's not really her main concern.

The saddest part of the book for me is when Rue died. Gahh it's so sad I literally have tears rolling down my cheeks in the middle of the night at like 3am in the morning! haha Collins is good with developing her characters and it's really sad because we get to know the characters and sometimes we grow fond of them so I felt very wtf (and betrayed) when Collins killed her off. But then again, we all knew Rue will die sooner or later. Sigh The lyrics of the song Katniss sang to Rue when she died is priceless. I hope they made a real song out of it!

Also, Katniss pulling out the berries so she and Peeta can die together when they changed the rules is such a small gesture but it offsets something so big. Why should Snow blame her when she and Peeta are supposed to be madly in love anyway. It shouldn't be a big deal because that's what people who are madly in love do.

After the end of the first book I was really anticipating to read the next one because I was so curious as to how Collins will play out the second book of the installment, Catching Fire. I'll do the review on another blog post that's for sure. :)

The Hunger Games by Suzzane Collins

The hardcover design is so much more impressive than the paperback ones! :(

2 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read these books forever!! I just never got the chance due to homework. I can't wait to read!! awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @IridescentColors They are amazing! Go read em when you have the chance! :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...